By Spencer Musick

BEIJING, Oct. 6 (Xinhua) -- The sixth day of action at the China Open on Thursday saw several major upsets on the WTA side of things.

The biggest shocker of the day saw No.1 seed Angelique Kerber of Germany stunned by 16th seed Elina Svitolina of Ukraine in their third-round meeting.

It is the second time the Ukrainian has bested a No.1 player during this season.

Svitolina dominated the first set with strong defense against Kerber's serves and aggressive play at the baseline, taking it with relative ease in 44 minutes.

Kerber fought back in the second set, leveling at five games all, but in the end was unable to keep pace with her opponent.

Kerber said that she is not feeling in her best form, and missed several chances during the match.

"I had my chances, for sure, but I didn't take it. I make a lot of easy mistakes. I was not playing my best, for sure. Physically I was not 100% so I was not able to play my best," she said.

Svitolina said she is pleased with her overall performance, and most of all happy that she was able to close out the match in two sets.

"Yeah, I'm really, really happy that I won today. Really happy that I finish with two sets because last time playing in Montreal, I was really close."